It was frightfully windy the other day; blustery, wild and very cold. In short, it was a terrible day to be working with flimsy house wrap, but wrap house we did as it billowed and bucked and WRINKLED. Oh, the dreaded wrinkles… Considering the conditions, I think I’ll blame them on the wind.
We now have a total of 5 lovely windows in! The first flashing installation guide I watched on youtube gave shabby advice and I ended up redoing two windows as a result. Though slightly annoying, it didn’t take up much time and I now feel confident in the correct process. Of course, now and a year from now when the house is getting pelted with torrential rain are different entirely; confidence is a much easier thing to have when it’s dry.
The 5 windows in thus far have been the easy ones. The 4 on the sides and 1 at the back were both easily accessible with the skilsaw, and quite small. The 3 in the bump out section at the front of the house are neither of these things, which is why we have purposefully avoided them. Today, however, my dad conjured up some brilliance and essentially solved the problem. It involves ripping out a lot of very determined ring shank nails (why, damn it, why did we not use screws…) and moving some framing around, but it’s probably faster in the end and doesn’t require the skilsaw.
We’ve been getting late starts and worked right up until dark the last few days, but hopefully we’ll get our buns out there a little earlier tomorrow. As dearly as I love my windows, I do not love their narrow rough openings and it’ll be a relief to get past the seemingly counterproductive “lets saw off parts of the house” stage.
The snow hit Friday afternoon not even 5 minutes after we started the first sheet of plywood over my loft. How do you like that timing? Dedicated as we were, my dad and I plowed along and got another on before it became impractical and hysterically windy, leaving us with no choice but to retreat inside the big house to a much more sustainable temperature and a good cup of tea. I am of the mind that there are few things that tea won’t at least make a little better (including interrupted roofing).
The rafters being about 6 feet long, it is necessary to use two and a half 4 foot sheets to cover the space. In the interest of symmety, we put up the two bottom sections in the snowstorm then finished the tops off today so the sleeping loft is entirely covered. My dad and I are debating the possibly of an overhang at the front and back of the house so we left more plwood than we need so we’ll have something to work with if we decide to take that route. I think it would look quite lovely but am a bit concerned about the wind catching it on the road and ripping my entire roof off. Well I guess I’m pretty concerned, hence the debate.
I also got help putting up house wrap on one side of the house. Armed with a hammer stapler and exacto knife (after watching an instructional youtube video on installation) we tried really hard to avoid the feared wrinkles but ended up with one fairly wonky section. Looks like we also put it on upside down…ah well, learning curve.
My camera is currently missing. I took pictures with the thing earlier but seem to have misplaced it, so I’ll endeavor to put up photographic evidence as soon as it becomes found. People tell me that things don’t get up and walk away, but I’m betting it sprouted legs and wandered off to joined the legions of other things I loose so often in silly little places I’m certain I’ve looked in before…